Friday, June 3, 2005

Driving lessons

I drove for the 6th time yester-evening. Wow !
My first lesson were the ABC (Accelerator, Break, Clutch). Combined with Steering control. Gears were not new, thanks to my long experience with geared two wheeler. Same continued the next day. We drove in rural area with almost nil traffic on road. It went so well, my coach (my hubby) never once loss his temper. Next there was a huge huge gap. And I got my next lesson, only by incessantly bugging my hubby. Now this was such a disaster; as if I had never even seen anyone drive. Accel screamed at every light touch. Breaks were always sudden jerk. Wheels never went straight. And that was the begining of my hubby's "coaching rage". Fourth lesson was okay. Fifth lesson went smoothly and ended when I reached a deadlock with an oncoming bus, at a narrow stretch.

Yesternight, I drove through wide but sparse-traffic road. And for a long stretch. 40 minutes, I think. There were two close calls. An overtaking lorry nearly touched us and managed to push us off the road. I stopped, without causing any damage to us or others. This was mainly because I was intimidated. The fix ? "Drive in the middle of the road". What ? "Give way only at the last minute, when required. Now START". Spelt out very patiently. Wow. And so it went on, till I was really really exhausted and really could not see anything in the dark. Hmm, well so this class was about being bold and also use of light blinkers.

Well I do want to learn driving asap. I am worried I might cross the learning age. Dad says, after a particular age, it difficult to get the instincts required for this skill. Hmm, why o why did I waste so much time? I should have got started in my teens and thus by now, driving would have become second nature to me. Okay I was busy with the thrill of driving a scooter or in dozing off in bus, for my daily commute. Driving would have been too much of an effort. Thats why. :D

Anyway, its a matter of some more time and I will be flying a machine ! Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooommm.....

4 comments:

AfricaBleu said...

Brave woman, use your horn a lot...

I didn't learn to drive until I was past sixteen (which in the States is OLD) and failed my driving test THREE TIMES! Once, my mother let me drive home and I pulled parallel to the concrete median, blocking traffic entirely. I finally mangaged to pull ONTO the median and right myself, bumping off the concrete into traffic like I was in a Monster truck, not a Dodge Colt. My mother, meanwhile, had her hands pressed over her face and was praying loudly to God for our safety.

I never DID learn to drive stick-shift - I am automatic-shift-handicapped.

I am happy to report that I have been driving now for almost twenty years and have only had one accident and NO tickets. Late drivers are safe drivers, that's my theory.

Kudos!

PS - wander back over to my blog - I answered your questions about my obession with SRK... :)

Baejaar said...

I still cant ride a four wheeler. So your dad's advice came like a jolt from the blue. I need to allocate some time and learn this soon. BTW the day before each lesson, please post your route and timing in this blog. So that we can be well prepared and stay out of the way ;-)

Prithi Shetty said...

wow becky, that was something ! ... and thanks for the encouragement. my 7th time was a lot better. i did horn a lot :)

deepak, am feeling good - this was a wake call for u. about warning posts, let me see ...

Roba said...

Indeed Prithi. The effort is worth it. Driving is the best thing I've ever done in my life. It is HEAVEN!

Post a Comment