Monday, February 5, 2018

Quebec - Canada 2018


I got a chance to visit Quebec all by myself, this Jan-Feb. I was here exactly 12 years back. It was a bus tour with a night hop here at that time. So I did not catch the names well and not many pics, those being primitive times. This time I stayed there for 3 days and browsed all spots.

To quote Sharona in Monk (S8E10), "You never enjoy an adventure when you are in one.", which actually talks about me. So I decided to enjoy Canada while I was here.

So there was a snowstrom right on my travel day. Thanks to afternoon flight cancellation in Toronto, I arrived in Quebec at 1am. It was a Snow City. Cleanup crew was still removing piles of snow from the road, even at this time of the night.


Quebec streets were flooded with snow just like MN weas when I left. Quebec house owners all seem to have a great hack/jugaad to save their cars from being coated with snow or ice the next morning. They all had tents on cars outside garage. Again not a good pic from a moving Uber at 1am.


I did step out next day. First impression - French, everywhere. All signs were French first and then English. Its a revelation to see English get relegated to 2nd status for a change. I even got to see Murdoch Mysteries in French on the TV cable.



Fairmount Le Chateau Fronteau
Fort . Magnifique indeed !
There are many Hotels around it, one of which I stayed in. They are all old style Hogwarts-ish but smaller scale. The fort meanwhile is huge and wondrous.



By the Fort is Terrasse Dufferin, overlooking the River St Lawrence.







Snow sculptures were everywhere. And this particular is some sort of mascot, which I haven't found/googled about.


Place d'Armes Square
I was as touristy as I could be, to join other tourist hordes landing here in tour buses.



Quaint streets lined around buildings straight out of a Euro-fairytale. People walked around and I could overhear only French. Euro style music blared from most restaurants. And most had really exotic menus. While I looked for some standard issue Chicken-Pasta, every dish was in exotic meats (venison, duck) and almost no veggies. That's when I felt maybe I was really in the Tundra.




Quebec Parliament Building is at a walkable distance.




They had just wrapped up some Carnivale closeby. There were remnants of Glasslides and Ice platforms which were being dismantled.



With so much snow around, loads of restaurants had ice-sculptures underway.


Only visit to Downtown Quebec was during Uber ride to airport. Here there were more mordern office buildings compared to the Old Quebec.


On my way to Toronto, here is the arieal view of snowy Quebec.






Next stop, Mississagua and Niagara and then to Toronto.
Canada 2018 - Quebec, Mississagua, Niagara and Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment