Monday, February 12, 2018

Mississagua - Canada 2018

Tim Horton is the big deal in Canada. McD and others are small fish here.


Next stop after Quebec was Toronto. Was so excited to visit Toronto after exactly 12 years.
The city of very-many tall skyscrapers, city of subways, and underground Malls. But this time I got to see more. I got to see the suburb houses, specifically in Mississagua (what a tongue twister).



Before I hopped ahead, I have to share trails and tribulations of the day I spent in Toronto, before reaching Quebec . Of the flight cancellation at 10 am, which kept me hanging dry till 9pm, when I got a confirmed flight to Quebec. And which is why I reached Quebec at 1am. Of the hours I spent chiding myself for ever thinking I travel less because I forget how tedious travel is. Of the 1 hour I spent in a international checkin queue, in peak lunch hunger, having last eaten at 5 am and then finding out this was the line for CUBA not Quebec ! Of the day spent exploring every nook & corner of Toronto Pearson Airport, not knowing when it will be my time (to hop onto a flight). Ah, well that is all. I guess I don't have any more words for the pain of being a stranded traveler.


Mississagua has its own skyscraper filled downtown. I only visited Square One mall. Shopping is so expensive, for anything. The taxes are immense in retail. Buying a souvenir includes taxes that cost enough to buy another souvenir. Brand stores were same as in USA, but costs (feels) like 10 times more.

But the most mind-blowing positive news was that Composting is part of the urban culture. It was shocking in a good way. Especially after knowing that there is no recycling in Texas, it's good to know, there are not 2 but 3 categories in Toronto. There were multiple bins in the cities and airports. Home garbage collection has separate systems as well. I feel so guilty , at home, about dumping large quantities of veggies wastes in thrash where they have no future. Totally reminded me of Bangalore, where veggie waste was collected for composting on a local scale or used to feed the farm animals. Watching it in Toronto was so heartening, that maybe it will make its way into all USA states. I know USA as such has fertile soil everywhere, but composting cannot hurt. I know it on at private home levels.


Some views outside. Swami Narayan temple on the way to Brampton.


Gurudwara in Brampton. The entire stretch of strip mall around it, maybe 50 shops in it, were all desi owned small-business.


Next up - Niagara and Toronto downtown tour.

Canada 2018 - Quebec, Mississagua, Niagara and Toronto.


No comments:

Post a Comment