Monday, October 2, 2017

Spectating TC Marathon 2017

TC Marathon is the big deal local Marathon event of the year. Frankly its the only local Marathon for the Twin Cities, something which does not involve driving for more than an hour or looking at hotel logistics.

This year 2017, I arrived at the cross of Summit Avenue & Oxford Street, to cheer for my Lifetime Run Club buddies. This is the 24th mile. I monitored my run-buddies run on the TCM app and timed to arrive here as per their times. By then rain had picked up and their times for this milestone were delayed. But this was the loudest cheer zone for sure, with music blaring from Mill City Running truck parked here.


Lifetime Run Club cheering zone was here since 8 am and inspite of sitting through the rain for 5+ hours, was just as high-spirited in their cheering. My kids cheered on, rang cow-bells and held umbrella with one hand and held out the other for high-fives. Rain did not bother them as much as I was worried.


All the 5+hour finishers were rushing past. You could see last 24 miles on their face, yet the prospect of finishing it in another 2 miles. Rain kept its relentless pitter-patter on them. So many memorable faces - a father-son pair, Ann-Blake's husband, a 74 years old Senior who was disappointed at having missed sub-4 hour finish.


This pair had the words SHAME & DISGRACE printed on their t-shirt. I had read about it on Twitter in the morning and so was excited to actually see them.

Finally my Run clubbers arrived. Everyone was out to scream and make the lodest noises. #LadyCrew who had finished 10 mile earlier in the morning, had joined the Marathoner at 20 mile.



Then the Mother-Daughter team joined them from here. The best supporting Run Club team #LadyCrew.

For spectating in 2014, I went to Lake Calhoun with my daughter. It was 35 F that morning. This was around Mile 6 of the marathon. I got to see all the runners - Elite, mid-packers till the very last one. Everyone still fresh from the start.

In 2015, I went to spectate at Summit Avenue. That is the 24 mile and I was there at around 10:30 am, a very bright sunny morning. With the race start at 8 am, I was there at the exact moment all the leaders passed by. What a view.

And last year, in 2016, I got the privilege of running the TC Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment