Friday, October 12, 2007

Zindagi ka Language

Zee Studio is showing 'Mind Your Language'. Finally 7pm has a fresh show to see, after nearly a decade of F.R.I.E.N.D.S rerun on the same slot.

MYL is a terrific laugh riot. Each episode is a gem. They should really coin a phrase - 'as patient as Mr. Brown'. Phew what a class of students ! Each one better than the other.

There is a certain innocence / naiveté in watching these retro shows. Zee Studio is also showing 'Doogie Howser MD' & 'Wonder Years', which were a rage on Star plus, when cable television was brand new in India.

And much before that, we had 'Yeh Jo Hain Zindagi' on Doordarshan. That must have been 1984-6. I had vague memories from it. I always thought that Shafi Inamdar, Swaroop Sampat & Rajesh Bedi & Sathish Shah were the integral part of the show. So the exit of Ranjit & Renu, midway during the show, to Dubai, was a big surprise. And as I child I seriously wondered every week, as to why didn't Ranjit, Renu & Raja realise that it was Sathish Shah every time in different getups ? :)

'Jane Bhi Do Yaaron' also came around this time. Sathish Shah in this movie gave me a scare. My impression was that, this was a horror movie, rather than the sarcastic comedy it actually was. Again, I was a child then, and watching him as a corpse in all that night lighting in theatre did give it a scary feel.

About 'Yeh Jo Hain Zindagi', a few months back Star Plus showed it every weekday morning. It was a good thing to run in background while getting ready for office. When compared to the sophisticated sitcoms of today, it does appear more tacky or naive.

But that was a charm too. To see how things were in the early 80's. Their home, furniture, the phone & Fridge. Parathas for breakfast. Social life before mobile phone & cable television. And a lot of today's TV & movie stars appeared in this show, when they were gangly newcomers. Vidhu Vinod Chopra appeared in one episode as a film director. It was a short comic role and it was funny to see how gangly & awkward he was.

This show must have run as a weekly for years on DD. But showing it daily on Star Plus, exhausted it in a short time.

2 comments:

Naresh said...

Heyy...
Do u remember Hip Hip Hurray on Zee?? I used to watch it regularly. Its nowhere close to MYL, and I felt it lost its identity as a school humor series. But then at the end of it, it was better than the other things being shown. Yeh Jo Hai... was too early for me even to watch tv! :P

hey, howz ur daughter doing?! :) how abt a couple of her snaps on the blog?! :)

Ca... said...

I read your last post about your feelings for your new baby and can understand them. Here is the description of my feelings the first time I saw and held my first child, Rebecca. I think you might enjoy it and understand. I will put a link in so you may read the entire article if you wish.

"Sometime during that day a nurse at William Beaumont Hospital, Fort Bliss, Texas, handed me a small bundle. I took the bundle into my arms, very careful to hold it just right. My heart pounded and I felt weak and anxious. I moved the edge of the blanket that surrounded the tiny bundle and gazed upon the most beautiful sight my eyes had ever beheld! I could not speak. I could hardly breath. The tiny face that peered back at me was so radiant I was dumbstruck. She was such a lovely vision I could not begin to describe the feeling I got by just holding and looking at her. Looking at her and holding her made my heart soar to Heaven. Then, from my total existence, I heard the voice of God for the second time."

http://go_with_jim.tripod.comhtml /id14.

Post a Comment