Friday, February 14, 2014

TCM Valentine 5K 2014

(This is a back-dated blog-post. Life happens and I never get to write down on time.)

TCM Valentine was my second race of the year 2014. This was the first race I registered for months back after intense planning. And then Securian came along which I immediately registered for because of the date.

Parking is a nightmare in these event and we arrived just in time. So my hubby dropped me closest to the starting point and drove away, to keep the kids warm. No checking or warm house waiting for me this time. It was a freezing morning – literally it was -5F. Yet there was a usual big turnout, all enthusiastic in costumes and in red or pinks to celebrate Valentines. The starting point was the band shell at Lake Harriet and the race a full loop of the lake for 5K. The road is wide, but the middle & back packer crowd could just fit in; which is where I was. There was 1 small hill and you could hear the group groan. Even as I was halfway through, some runners with bib, were running in opposite direction on the lake trail path. They must be long distance runners and did not have their fill with 5K. I was wide-eyed when I realized it. These are my early days of running.

Clothing-wise I stuck to what is recommended for running in Sub-zero temps.

  1. Top layers of 3 tech shirts and light wind-breaker jacket
  2. Compression pant & track pant to keep the cold wind out
  3. Woolen gloves with snow gloves on top
  4. Cap with headband
  5. Neck gaiter
  6. Thick sole running shoe with compression socks.


There was no chips, so no results were published. Clock showed 44 minutes for me. I was glad to see the reduction by 4 minutes than the Securian 5K race the previous  month.

Water, chocolate-milk, sugar cookies and photo-booth were setup at Lake Harriet bandshell. I had picked up a lovely glass and tech shirt along with bib as a previous day packet pickup.

This was super fun run to celebrate my new found love of Running.


No comments:

Post a Comment