Saturday, December 5, 2020

Read List Books of 2020


When I reviewed by Book list for this year in September, I was horrified to see only 3 out there. 
I did spend the initial months re-reading. But I managed to scrape through more books in later months.

Thirst - 2600 miles to home - Heather Anish Anderson


Ended the year with this soulful reading. Travails of Anish hikes PCT for setting new FKT record.

Tears of Giraffe - Alexander McCall Smith

Morality for Beautiful Girls -  Alexander McCall Smith

 

Again a sweet book, working through the life of No.1 Ladies Detective Agency and her expanding family, along with Botswana. There is a mystery running through the book, while smaller cases & adventures get tackled in each chapter or its neighborhood. The detection cases keep use curious and only the long-running case keeps the feeling of dread alive.
Author portrays a sweet picture of a laid-back Africa, of the diversity within the continent's different countries. Of how the misrepresentation of Africa pricks their people.
Name of the book (Tears of Giraffe) tickled my kids every time I mentioned it. Explanation of the name is given in the last chapter.

The Ballard of Songbirds and Snakes -  Suzanne Collins

 


The attraction factor was that it was set in Panem and get to revisit it. Even if I felt icky about it being about Snow. It's a good read no doubt , I finished in 3 days or so, while I have some others I am still plodding on for months.

I read another blog review where the reviewer mentioned, she read mentioned she read the Hunger Games Trio as a YA and now as a mother she cant revisit the contest where Games contestants do what they do. Not the case for me, I remember I had that phase as a young mother. But I read HG3 as a grownup & person cynical of national power structures. The book was about Katniss who is trapped in a system where she doesn't know any-other form; yet she or her mind is rebelling all the time. That is a very interesting premise, because in the story things never goes as we think or as Katniss expects, so its filled with constant twists & turns. 

Meanwhile in TBOSAS, its about Snow and how he became the ruthless President he became; atleast the initial adulthood of his where he set in the path. When it starts, he is an impoverished teen who needs to hold on to the family pride along with tackling poverty. In the 3 parts of the book, we see him work around his situation with self-preservation being the most crucial for him. Even with that being primary, his initial actions seem very altrustic to others and hence they adore him. He doesn't have to use any overt charm, it just happens. He doesn't manipulate it but he doesn't hate it either. In act 2 and act 3, when dice is rolled and he goes through bad situations and is offered lifelines, he takes it whole-heartedly and realizes in the power games if he is not the one calling shots, they he is the one being shot. 

The part about guilt is also portrayed well. The book shows he feels guilt and repulsion at seeing the bad results of his actions. He is horrified and guilt-driven to see the results. But his self-preservation stops him from reversing anything. And when he is not caught and add self-preservation to it, he is embolden to go the path, where he creates the universe where he is the perpetrator and no one can harm him. He is as repulsive as George Claire character in Things Heard & Seen.

Part about Tigris was good to know, expected even. Maybe sequel will tackle the life as stylist and any surefire dokha she suffers from her beloved cousin for whom she does everything.

The Games themselves were lacklustre when compared to the ones mentioned in HG3 books. That is to depict how unorganized and unprofitable they were in the initial years. And why Snow revamps them to the sleek games they eventually become.

Emotionally I did not like the book and did not want to own it anymore. My copy of HG Trilogy is my prized possession.

The Rosie Project & The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion




A dear dear book to me. The protagonist speaks to me. I <3 Don Tillman. Next up is the third part.

Micro by Michael Crichton & Richard Preston


Finally such a satisfying science fiction. I remember I had started this book few years back and abandoned after few pages - mostly because I was busy and also because there had been more interest sci-fi's around. But in todays world, littered with fantasy s??? posing as sci-fi, this book is a breeze of fresh air with some real science explanations.
Eventually it felt like a dark-Honey I Shrunk The Kids in a Hunger Games.
About the text of the book, it lacked the real MC style of writing. There is a sharpness in his books. MC is my favorite sci-fi author and I have read most of his books. He was prolific so its tough to catchup with all. Incase of Micro, it was finished by Richard Preston after the death of MC.

Today will be different - Maria Semple



Picked it because it was by author of my fav Bernadette. But its not as fulfilling as that one. 
Same Seattle setting. But the mind of the narrator this time, is even more complex. I found it hard to get a hold of it and finally few lines in page 59 got me hooked. Then on I could follow what's going on. Just a burning searing talk about the relationship pains.

Us by David Nicholls



Interesting rolling book, with a complete Europe tour, and modern-fairy tale ending.

And miscellaneous Art books to scroll through



Older Reading lists: Entire Book list 2021 (2) | 2021(1) | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 |

No comments:

Post a Comment