Saturday, December 26, 2020

Running in Texas

Thanks to pandemic triggered WFH and Distance Learning and also being apart for more than a year, we took the plunge and drove from Minnesota to Texas to stay with family from Thanksgiving to New Years.

Being half-minded about lot of things and also about running, impacted my packing. I knew it's not sub-30 in Texas in Dec, I knew I had to run outside. So I packed the bare necessities of running. But wondering about continuous rain & pandemic, I skipped a few important items, like the phone-belt. Which meant I couldn't run with phone the first few times, until Amazon delivered a new one. And so I missed capturing picture of the one & only Armadillo I spotted on the trail - the first I have ever seen outside a zoo. The other item I forgot was a cap. Now after a Saturday morning run, I felt flashing hot cheeks, which usually cool down after the shower; but this one didn't & stayed till night. I was panicking if I had already hit menopause so soon. But by morning I deduced it was a sun-burn. Bah, how would I make that co-relation ? Who think of sunscreen & sun-burn in December ? It's not like we have been close to Australia ever. And the third item I forgot was Aquapor - but again Amazon to the recuse.

Anyway so here is my travel running bag checklist so I don't forget again:

  1. Run clothes
  2. Phone Belt
  3. Run cap
  4. Body Glide
  5. Aquapor
  6. Water bottles (buy disposable ones)


Flora & Fauna


CHAMPION Trail had the usual Social distancing PSA message boards along with the usual Wildlife warning signs. About wildlife I assumed them to be the usual deers & bunnies. But one fine run, I spotted a baby Armadillo crossing the trail ! Such a celebrity-sighting thrill. I had never seen one outside the zoo. Uff I did not have phone to click picture. Such a missed chance.

Then there were loads of Ducks, Cranes & Turtles, to watch upclose and who did not scatter away if approached close.


 

 

Its still Fall in TEXAS. This was a beautiful colorful tree, on a canal sidewalk side.

Route

My runs were on the closet trail - which is CHAMPION TRAIL. Every weekend I looked for the farthest point with car-parking spot; and arranged to get dropped there next weekend. This way I got to cover 7.5 miles of the trail. This way my initial out&back run soon became point-to-point. I would hide the water-bottle among the bushes at calculated midway-point.

My start of the route was along the canal.


Mile 1 was at this Bridge on a Lake. I have to say this hump was the only "hill" in the entire stretch on Champion Trail. It did wonders to my run-times.



Next up is Sam Houston Trail Park. A mile on this stretch is a dense trail, brings to the car parking spot.


Further up stretch, is below rows & rows of flyovers. Its a sight to see.

There are small ponds with tree branches rising out, reminding of Gupt song "Mere Khwabon Mein Tu".

Further up is Keenan Crossing Trail Park stretch. This is along the Elm Fork Trinity River.




After this the trail goes through Spring Trail Park.

At Mile 2.5, there is beautiful water canal and some construction. This area did give me a dread and I turned back from here first 2 times. Later I crossed and got to see more beautiful landmarks.


It curves and runs along Riverside Drive road and Elm Fork Trinity River.

Bird's Fort Trail Park is a great picnic location with car parking. 


This is along Elm Fork Trinity River Paddling River



1.5 miles from Bird's Fort Trail Park is Caliornia Crossing.

With lovely river-view offshoots on one side


and impressive real estate on the other side.


At this point the trail is closed for construction and I turned around from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment