Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Books of 2019

Continuing my book reading this year, in an effort to stay away from or getting sucked into phone. When I sat down to make this list, it did not seem like a lot of books. It's so tough as an adult to finish reading books. I must have let go of them mid-way like Aru Shah, which my kid is very excited about. And some comfort books like Famous Fives.

Meanwhile here are some interesting ones which were a first time read.

The Milk Lady of Bangalore by Shoba Narayan

LiveMint is a great magazine which I read a lot after the end of Google reader and before Facebook. It had some great movie reviews and many columnists, one of which is Shoba Narayan. She had an interesting column of her adventures with her cow-lady-buddy & her cows. For some reason I remembered it and wanted to know where it went. Some google-sleuthing showed up this book & was found a copy too.
Equally exciting, even though this was structure in book form, with chapters addressing different topics surrounding cows. But the common thread of Shoba & Sarala and their hunt to buy a cow.

For accompanied reading, here look at cute cow pics: https://www.boredpanda.com/cute-cows-are-dogs/

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith 



Got hold of a delightful book. Now after a long time, I have a series to go through.
Set completely in Botswana and populated by the local population led by a local heroine, its fun to read through each of the incidents in the book.
Author portrays a sweet picture of a laid-back Africa, of the diversity within the continent's different countries. Of how the misrepresentation of Africa pricks their people.
The detection cases keep use curious and only the long-running case keeps the feeling of dread alive.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel: Maria Semple



This book popped up in some recommendation list and I read it even when I knew nothing about it or the author. Actually before this book I was reading "The Woman in the Window" by A J Finn, which was oh sooo boring, which would not finish even when I skipped pages. Ah. This book was also in the same recom list, so you can imagine my trepedition.

But Bernadette was structured well. The story plot unfolded interestingly every chapter. The heroine herself was very intriguing and narrator did it well. Overwell very well laid out thriller.

Then one fine day, the movie poster popped up in my feed. I was shocked as I had no clue that movie is being made. Was actually glad it was made. Movie had good performances by all including the kid. The movie stayed true to the book except changing 2 major plot points (disappointed) & omitting one major plot (glad coz it felt unnecessary even in the book).

Gulp by Mary Roach

By my new favorite non-fiction science writer. I read 'Packing for Mars' last year and followed up with Gulp. Again a trusted copy for entertainment with bedazzlement.

I was almost on Chapter 11 & beginning to feel disappointed that if there was no chapter on gas or wind, it will be a downer. But instead I was rewarded with 2 chapters.
Her specific footnotes on peoples names & finding connections, are the funniest. Like using Brown for a running joke (wow its a pun here too).
The book finally ends on a chapter on how everything explained is actually to make lives better.
I wish publishers would invest more so writers could induce humor in textbooks. Reading would be most enjoyable.

I started Grunt and for some external reason could not finish. That would be in my next-to-read list.

Crazy Rich Asian
China Rich Girlfriend
Rich People Problems
- by Kevin Kwan

 

But the most delicious read of the year would have been this trilogy. I can't wait to find something similar to this or the author writing another episode of this series.
In the trilogy, CRA is a gem. CRG is a bit of a drudgery. And then again RPP is interesting & perfect end to the series. There is a lot to learn from this series. Its not just to make the reader feel inadequate, but also offers a view on how to become affluent. Ofcourse its not easy or straightforward.

Have been hearing of #40in2020 resolve. But that would amount to 3.3 books a month. Maybe #20in2020 that will help up my reading in 2020.

Older Reading lists: Entire Book list 2021 (2) | 2021(1) | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 |

No comments:

Post a Comment