Saturday, May 2, 2020

Never Ever Have I - Netflix

Mindy Kaling is a Genius. Now I had given up on Netflix originals and vowed never to go back to Netflix. But all the hype about Never Have I Ever's Bollywood dance episode got me hooked. I planned to watch only that episode (Ep 4) - which I loved and watched all of them. This is right there with Aziz Ansari's Master of None and Sanjeev Bhaskar & team.


When the narrator introduces himself, after few minutes of narration, it was an absolute thrill . And then his cameo later. I was amazed how MK could go for it. John McEnroe was a big deal for Indians in 90's. I didn't expect Americans of 2020 to know who he is ! Ace indeed.

It was a nice change to see South-Indian family. Fast talking mom & dad, with smatterings of kanna (dear) and threats of smacking. Thali & Vad-ungila on the mother Nalini, in her regular American fashion outfits. Masala Dosa for dinner. Half-sari for Devi. Behaviour-wise too, loads of desi behavior were in full flow, without any inhibition of some imaginary judgement. Kamala and her track of cousin studying at relatives house for studies, going through the dread of upcoming arrange marriage boy-seeing routine. And loved the sarees in Ep 4 - they were all latest fashion & lot of South-Indian silks. This is in contrast to a lot of kitschy out-of-fashion sarees used in TV shows with any India reference.


I hurried to the Ep 4 for the Bollywood dance sequence. But stayed till the end, just to soak in the Ganesh puja socializing. Pandit Raj (Ep 4) was a great representation of Hindu priest, after a long time (or ever) on any TV. In his very first lines he shows he is erudite in his Sanskrit, and funny too. Soon we see, he is insightful and mindful of the main family's pain. And then that ESP knack he has with Kamala.

Endearing Periyappa (Ep 9), constantly talking about home security. Even asking the new guy, "Do you always carry the phone in your front pocket ? Do you not want to have children ?" New refreshing spin on older person asking uncomfortable things, without filter.

The main theme of 3 high school friends, 2 main boys and other shenanigans are engaging and peppered with funny dialogues and narrations. And it is these new characters that have kept all 10 episodes interesting.

Links:

  1. How Mindy Kaling’s new Netflix series offers ‘a sense of community’
  2. A Famous Tennis Star Is the Narrator of 'Never Have I Ever'
  3. John McEnroe Learned About Thirst Traps Because of Never Have I Ever
  4. I'm a first-gen Indian-Filipino: I related to Mindy Kaling's 'Never Have I Ever' so much it made me sob
  5. In Never Have I Ever, the Real Love Story Is Between a Mother and Daughter
  6. How Mindy Kaling brought the Hindu tradition of Ganesh Puja to American TV
  7. Joya Kazi On Her Experience In Mindy Kaling’s ‘Never Have I Ever’
  8. The Bollywood dance scene in 'Never Have I Ever' is a Hollywood milestone
  9. Netflix's 'Never Have I Ever': How Mindy Kaling made the teen show she always wanted
  10. 6 ways 'Never Have I Ever' busts Asian stereotypes
  11. ‘Never Have I Ever’ Is Its Best Teen Comedy To Date



No comments:

Post a Comment