Thursday, May 30, 2019

Game of Thrones - end notes

Yet another show meets its ending. And wow the strong reactions everywhere. To the extent of threats the director-duo.

I had 2 friends and 3 cousins who were mad about GOT and egged me all the time to catch up with the old episodes before I see the finale season. 66+ episodes of 1+ hours each - Omg I could get some college credits for that kind of time investment. No way I was going to see it all. 

But its not like I was completely ignorant of the GOT Universe. I had spent enough time on Wikia through the past seasons. I just didn't have stomach to watch the gore I heard/read about. So I knew the characters, their developments, relationships and major events.

I still wonder why such strong reactions. It ended perfectly for a TV show. That's how finale-seasons are supposed to be. Considering I started watching from S7 last episode, it provided great closure to all the remaining folks. For the real ending, fans have to wait for the book. 

Starks rule the world - 6 kingdoms, North, Night watch, West of Westeros. 
Tyrion is the real controller. He eggs Jon & then he gets to pick the king, be the hand & rule the place. 
Like any heist movie, no one gets the money.

Loads of impressive things about the show. Massive scale of fictional world. Loads of talking points & thinking points for so many people - what they call inspirational. 

What I hate & love about the show - is the parallel to or borrowing from other mythology and historical events across cultures. Iconic shots have some connections to real life tragic event or painting. Stories are picked from the various mythology or history from different cultures. I don't like this level of unoriginal thought. There is no credit of recreation; just unending borrowing to create your own nest. Plus I have an axe to gring against alternate-history which is written or told in realistic manner. Its misleading; someone someday is going to think this was true. Even in fantasy genre, this would be attributed to the author not the original source.

Best part about the show is the meme it generated to truly reflect our lives in Minnesota :)