Wednesday, September 13, 2017

City of Lakes - Half Marathon - 2017 - Race Recap

I had run the City of Lakes - Half Marathon in 2015. And this year I got a chance to run it thanks to my Run club buddies.



Lovely perfect September morning. Temps must have been in the 60s. Cloudy sky. So I ditched my cap this time. We parked in one of the side streets around Lake Harriet and walked to the start line at Beard's Plaisance, near tennis courts. Turns out the finish line was at Lake Harriet Bandshell, so the return walk was 1 mile. Yes, it counts as recovery walk.

Race first loop was around Lake Harriet, then through the road to Lake Calhoun. Here the elite runners form Africa were returning to Harriet after completing Calhoun. Ah what a sight. I got to see the the lead female runner from their group. Then a loop around Lake Calhoun, where we encounter the first timer-carpets for 3 mile. Weather was still perfect temp and cloudy sky. After looping Calhoun, it was back to Harriet and when I reached the tennis courts, the group from Africa was leisurely walking after after finishing first. I yelled a Congratulations and they politely replied and said I was doing good :)

The next loops around Lake Harriet and then Calhoun did not feel so long or endless. At Mile 11 at Calhoun, I did feel an anxiety rush into me, sort of negative thoughts which I had distracted from for so long. So the pace dropped in the last 2 miles. But I knew that my pace must have been great in the initial miles. I had minuscule walk breaks this time.  Finish time was 2:59:34 hour with a pace of 13:53. So thrilled to be sub-3 hour after almost 1 year. I have my Run-club buddy to thanks for, who I ran with throughout.



At the finish line, I was joking that this race is the first, where they touch-our-feet for Namaskar at the end :) Because the volunteers pull out the timer chip strapped to the shoe-lace. Good thing - they know we are not going to be able to bend for another day or two.


Swag was a lovely medal in the shape of sailing yacht or boat - apt representation of Lake Calhoun & Harriet. And a glass mug. This one had opaque etchings instead of colored one in 2015. T-shirts here, are for category winners.



No comments:

Post a Comment